Top 10 in-demand Skills to Power-up Your Career in 2022
Top 10 in-demand Skills to Power-up Your Career in 2022
As the economy reopens after being affected by the pandemic, businesses are forced to adapt and digitized their operation due to the work from home set-up. We are slowly transforming into a digital economy. And to stay relevant in the digital company, it is crucial for you to pick up relevant digital skills to meet the demand of the evolving workplace. Employers today are increasingly looking for potential hires with such digital competencies.
According to the report, job candidates are increasingly required to possess digital marketing and data analytics skills. As more and more people go online to research, seek out information and purchase, companies of all shapes and sizes need people that know how to operate, promote and communicate online. Digital skills are crucial for businesses across industries that want to raise brand awareness, offer great social customer service, generate leads, and increase revenue.
Unesco’s definition of digital skills is ‘a range of abilities to use digital devices, communication applications, and networks to access and manage information. They enable people to create and share digital content, communicate and collaborate, and solve problems for effective and creative self-fulfillment in life, learning, work, and social activities.’
Find out what are the top 10 employable skills for students, young professional, and employers. (Reference: Digital Marketing Institute)
1. Social Media - According to a recent study, there are 4.2 billion active social media users worldwide. Of these, 4.15 billion are active users on mobile devices. These figures show a 13.2% increase in the number of global social users in just a year with no sign of slowing down. The ability to understand and use social media effectively is a core and valued skill that every professional should have.
Individuals often resort to entrepreneurship to provide niche solutions or to use their creativity, technological knowledge, or finances to generate their own income. Innovative ideas and inventiveness are foundational driving factors for entrepreneurs which result in great contribution to the economy.
2. Search Engine Market (SEM)- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is one of the most influential disciplines that marketers have come to rely on. To put things in perspective, 81% of internet users search online for a product or service to buy, with Google accounting for 70% of that traffic.
Certain individuals with SEM experience can increase the visibility of a company’s website on a search engine (e.g., Google or Bing) primarily via paid advertising. By doing so, the business will attract valuable web traffic from the search engine results page.
3. Data Analytics - Data can provide you with a wealth of information that - if used correctly - can result in effective marketing campaigns that drive conversions, sales, and revenue. Data analytics essentially allows an individual to make educated and data-driven decisions to drive better business insights.
4.Content Marketing - Content is crucial in driving brand awareness and can establish brands or influencers as thought leaders. Therefore, new hires need to understand the importance of creating not just content, but content that is relevant to keyword research and optimizing them in a strategy. With experience and knowledge in content marketing, you will have a valuable and employable skill that will set you up for a career in any industry.
5. Email Marketing - Email is one of the oldest forms of direct marketing and still packs a punch in customer acquisition and retention. From startups to multinational corporations, a great email marketing strategy helps launch successful campaigns.
6. Mobile Marketing - According to We Are Social and Hootsuite's Digital 2021 report, mobile connectivity continues to grow, with 97% of the world’s population using mobile phones, and 96% of all active connections coming from smartphones. Since smartphone traffic now exceeds desktop traffic (64%), mobile-first indexing is now used by Google when crawling pages and prioritizing content.
Job seekers can use this knowledge to their advantage by optimizing campaigns using the latest developments in mobile search and user experience.
7. Strategy & Planning - Businesses that use a digital marketing campaign strategy are most likely to see measurable results in the long term. Instead of planning on an ad-hoc basis, digital marketers need to create and implement campaigns based on analytics and quantifiable SEO data.
According to research, 79% of senior marketers stated that strategy and planning were ‘very important’ to an organization’s success according to DMI’s research paper, ‘Perpetual Evolution’. Despite its importance, marketers found this skillset one of the hardest areas to recruit for.
8. Social Selling - To connect with and influence customers, sales professionals need to be where their prospects are: online. Social selling is proving its worth for sellers that use it - 65% rely on it for filling their pipelines and it generates half of the revenue for 14 major industries.
Businesses are also beginning to understand the importance of social selling by investing in new 'sales stack' technology such as email tracking tools, productivity apps, and sales intelligence software. Above all, social selling tools are seen as very effective in connecting with the modern buyer, one that relies on social platforms for reviews and advice.
9. Pay-Per-Click Marketing (PPC) - According to Larry Kim, the average landing page conversion rate is 2.35% but the top 25% convert at double that, at 5.21% or higher. In addition, for every $92 spent on acquiring customers, only $1 is used to convert them.
As such, PPC is a popular way for brands to get traffic quickly. Companies with big budgets can get their search result to appear on Google’s first page to drive massive traffic. One popular PPC advertising model is Google’s AdWords program and a great way to monitor spend is by using a PPC for eCommerce tracker.
10. Video - Video has evolved from being just a form of entertainment to a major social media content driver. YouTube is now a powerful and influential platform while networks like TikTok and Instagram have turned video on its head to create wealthy influencers.
Video as content is easier to consume than other formats e.g. a blog post. It’s also more entertaining and appeals to Millennials. By combining the emotional power of social media video with the reach and scope of digital advertising, markets can tap into a growing market of engaged consumers.
All the skillsets shown above can help us geared up for the post-pandemic workplace. This just only shows that we are shifting from working hard to working smart. Adapting to changes is requiring us to learn new knowledge, skills, and experience to be able to put up to what is essential to the economy. Students, young professionals, and employees that learn digital skills not only make themselves more employable but future-proof their career by understanding key digital channels.
Do you want to advance your career and immerse yourself with the international standards in software development and advancements, digital business and experience working with multinational companies? We can ensure that you will learn the most relevant and up-to-date digital skills.
Message us for more information.
JLS MEB Consultancy - Design Studio (c) 2021